The holiday region of Gstaad is simply an outdoor paradise. The unspoiled natural countryside inspires people to get out and keep fit, whether on the ground, in the air, on boards or skis. What all sports and activities have in common is the health-giving mountain air. Have a great time!
Winter biking, for which fat bikes are usually used, is becoming increasingly popular among outdoors-minded people looking for new sporting challenges. There is a wide range of winter biking activities on offer in the holiday region of Gstaad.
Curling is becoming increasingly popular in the holiday region of Gstaad and is played on the ice rink in Gstaad Sports Centre. Different tournaments are also held on the natural ice rinks in the region during the winter season.
- Season: 1st November 2017 to April 2018
- Annual Curling Programme: www.curling-gstaad.ch
- Gstaad Sports Centre
- Information and reservations: ESC Zweisimmen Rinderberg, Postfach, 3770 Zweisimmen
More ice rinks with curling facilities
- Schönried natural ice rink, information and reservations: Schönried Tourist Office
Tel: +41 33 744 14 82
- Château-d'Oex natural ice rink, information and reservations: Tel: +41 26 924 24 51
The holiday region of Gstaad has a wealth of varied flying routes. The launch sites have good thermals and are easy to reach by lift and cable car. Visitors can also experience the thrill of tandem flights with experienced pilots.
- Paragliding School Gstaad, Tel. +41 (0)79 224 42 70
- Time To Fly Paragliding, Tel. +41 (0)76 470 10 10
- Alpinzentrum Gstaad, Tel. +41 (0)33 748 41 61
- Wondericfly, Tel. +41 (0)79 717 06 05
Official launch sites
- La Videmanette
- Glacier 3000
More information on the launch sites
Important note: Adhere to the instructions at the launch and landing sites, as well as information provided by the lift and cable car stations about wildlife reserves. Respect flora and fauna at all times.
Riding through the beautiful unspoiled countryside in a horse-drawn carriage or sleigh is one of the romantic highlights of any stay in the holiday region of Gstaad.
Enthusiastic ice-climbers are sure to find challenges on the Glacier 3000 above the Col du Pillon or near Lake Lauenen. With the right equipment, an adrenaline rush is guaranteed in the holiday region of Gstaad. The day will become an unforgettable experience with instructions from local guides. Information is available from the local providers of outdoor activities.
- Suitable for trained climbers
- Season: Between November and March depending on the ice conditions.
- Overview: Les Diablerets (Col du Pillon, at the waterfall), Geltenschuss (at Lake Lauenen), Tungelschuss (at Lake Lauenen), Burgfälle (Gsteig)
- Important note: Only accompanied by a local guide
Sale and hire of climbing equipment
- Edelweiss Sport in Gstaad, www.edelweisssport.ch
Hot Air Ballooning
The balloon floats gently up into the sky where everything is silent and peaceful. As you drift along with the wind, you will have an outstanding view of the mountains and valleys. Experienced balloonists have come to love the region for its micro-climate, which provides the very best conditions for ballooning.
Event Tip: International Festival of Ballooning, Château-d’Oex - over 80 balloons from different countries compete: www.festivaldeballons.ch
Leave your cares behind and fly off in a helicopter to experience the Alps at their most beautiful in the company of a mountain guide for skiing instructor. The holiday region of Gstaad has no fewer than six heliskiing landing sites (Gstellihorn, Wildhorn, Vordere Walig, Stalden, Gumm, Glacier de Tsanfleuron).
Whether you're propelled into the air by thermal currents or by a motor, the Bernese Oberland Alps offer pilots a number of different options and flying routes. Different companies offer flights over the Eiger, Mönch and Jungfrau or towards the Valais Alps close to the Matterhorn and over the Aletsch Glacier. Aspiring pilots can also work towards their RPPL (Restricted Private Pilot License). Providers of sightseeing flights
Greenland dogs and Siberian Huskies love nothing more than a hard day's work. The sheer joy they have in exercise, snow and in life within the pack creates the dynamics for an unforgettable experience of a dog-sleigh trip.
- Summer Glacier Tours
- Events, company excursions and VIP programmes
- Family events
- Passenger trips in Lauenen (winter only)
- Husky experience for individuals and groups of up to 6
Trekking with animals Discover the mountain world of the holiday region of Gstaad with porters of a very particular kind – llama, goat or horse trekking is a pleasurable experience for all age groups.
Crossblades let you combine that snowshoe feeling with downhill thrills even on deep snow. Technical features ensure that this winter sports equipment is also suitable for easy and medium-difficulty ski tours and for ski slopes.
- Crossblades and sticks rental
- Available only for adults, Crossblades from footsize 36
- Strong shoes necessary (Trekkingshoes)
- The rental costs CHF 20.00 per day incl. sticks
Contact: Sparenmoos Aktiv, www.sparenmoos-aktiv.ch or +41 79 339 94 29
Guided outings into the unspoilt countryside or riding lessons in the indoor hall – in classic, English or Western style: the hearts of horse-lovers are sure to beat even faster here.
Gstaad Equestrian Centre
- Riding lessons by riding instructors with Swiss Federal diplomas in German, English, French and Russian
- Carriage-driving courses
- Accompanied outings, lasting between 1.5 and max. 6 hours
- Carriage and Sleigh Rides
Riding options in winter
Starting at Gstaad Equestrian Centre, an attractive, signposted winter bridle path leads towards Gruben/Saali. The bridle path is also open to riders between Gstaad and Grund. Riders unfamiliar with the area should contact the people below to find out about the different riding trails or only ride with others.
Rules for using the winter riding trails
- The trails cross other people's property and riders should therefore conduct themselves accordingly.
- Follow the blue signs with white horses, and do not ride on winter hiking trails.
- Winter riding trails may be closed depending on the weather and to protect the fields. Adhere to the 'riding prohibited' signs at the entrances.
- Map of Winter Riding Trails
Gstaad and Saanenland Riding and Carriage Driving Association
Claudia Hauswirth, Lauenen
Riding stable Hauswirth
Phone +41 78 824 75 54
Voegeli Riding School, Gstaad
Swiss Federal certified riding instructor
Tel. +41 (0)77 418 95 16
Mobile: +41 (0)79 354 52 89