Gstaad – the wellness pioneer
At a time when the word "wellness" was simply a foreign English word, the first brine bath in the Swiss Alps opened in Gstaad. The responsible wellness pioneers were Heiner Lutz and Laurenz Schmid, hoteliers and owners of the Wellness and Spa Hotel Ermitage in Schönried above Gstaad. This was the start of Gstaad becoming a "spa and wellness resort".
1979. Margaret Thatcher is the first woman to become Prime Minister of Great Britain. Jody Scheckter wins Formula 1 with Ferrari. Elton John is the first western pop star to visit Moscow. And in Gstaad, the hoteliers Heiner Lutz and Laurenz Schmid open the" first Swiss indoor and outdoor brine baths in the Alps in the"Ermitage. Back then they were ahead of the time, moving in uncharted waters! Nevertheless with great success, as can be seen in Gstaad. Lutz and Schmid were among the first in Switzerland to focus on wellness and extended their hotel from its original 18 bedrooms to today's 96 rooms and suites. They also built a 3,500 square metre spa and wellness area, which is still setting standards today.
Wellness Destination Gstaad
In August 2008,"the Swiss Tourism Association awarded the newly created Quality Seal of Approval"Wellness Destination" to six spa and wellness resorts. Gstaad is the only certified spa and wellness resort in the Bernese Oberland. In the meantime its wellness facilities extend to seven specialist spa and wellness hotels. In addition, Gstaad Sports Centre and a number of other hotels also provide a high-quality of spa and wellness facilities for guests' comfort and well-being. Just like the resort's location, ideal for rest and recreation, the pedestrianised promenade and the many attractions in unspoilt natural surroundings. Gstaad's slogan really says it all: Come up, slow down
"Wellness Destination" Gstaad
- 7 hotels with full spa and wellness facilities: Gstaad Palace, Grand Hotel Park, Le Grand Bellevue, The Alpina Gstaad, Wellness & Spa-Hotel Ermitage, Golfhotel les Hauts de Gstaad & Spa, Steigenberger Alpenhotel & SPA Gstaad-Saanen
- 10 hotels with some spa and wellness facilities
- Sports Centre with indoor pool
- First children's spa in Switzerland: Alpenhotel Steigenberger, Saanen
- Pedestrianised promenade
- Lakes, ponds and recreational areas
- Nature conservation areas
- Medical assistance and care
- Easily accessible infrastructure in unspoilt natural surroundings